V1419 Sewalong #2– Making the Muslin

Okay, let’s get started.

Since a few days I’m the lucky owner of a small sewing corner in the cellar, next to the washing machine and the dryer. This does not sound very nice, but it’s mine and I can make whatever I want.

Perfect circumstances to start with the muslin.

It took me some time to get into the project – believe me, for a beginner the instruction from vogue patterns isn’t the easiest one.

Highly motivated I copied the pieces, cut the muslin fabric and stitched everything together.

Three hours later I had finished this first muslin:

141014_V1419_Muslin01

Unfortunately there were 2 things which were not so…hm… optimal:

1: I can’t close it and there are pleats in the back. I could sew a bigger size but I don’t have it on my pattern. I could a) order the bigger pattern, but then I had to pay again for the international shipping (which is more expensive then the pattern was) or b) ignore the wrong size and just add a few centimeters to the back and the front piece.

2: The marks didn’t match perfectly together. And again I could a) ignore it and be confident, that everything will turn out very nice just as I’m using the fashion fabric or I could b) re-draw the pieces and copy every mark and explanation directly on the fabric.

The decision was b) for both issues.
Neither did I want to pay double nor did I want to wait another two weeks to receive the pattern. And hey, it’s just a few centimeters… no big deal!

But of course I need to try again.

Let’s start with Muslin #2

As already decided I added 6cm to the back and 4cm to (each) front by guess. Not the best idea, but see it on your own.

141014_V1419_Muslin02

The coat fits better, but the shoulders are too wide and the upper back is too wide. The waistline instead is too small in the back and maybe as a compensation I lost the waist completely in the front.

Hm. To be honest, I didn’t know what to do. I really needed a break and a sense of achievement. I started with an easy dress to practice a few adjustment like a FBA and a flat neckline adjustment.

 

DSC_0532

Links: vorher, blau markiert ist das, was ich rausgenommen hab Rechts: nachher, grün ist der Teil, den ich eingefügt hab

And – wuhuuuu – it works. Hello self-confidence, welcome back!

I’ll show you the finished dress on Wednesday to keep the tension high J

Back to the coat: Here it’s more difficult because the sleeves are also part of the front. Luckily it’s a sewalong and I’m not alone with my questions. One of the sewalongers had a similar problem and fixed it and documented it.

Let’s go on with muslin #3

First I cutted back my enlargement in the back and the front. Then I made a kind of FBA on the front and similar to the back.

141014_V1419_Muslin04

 

And here’s the result:
141014_V1419_Muslin03

Now I think the fitting is fine. The fashion fabric is thicker, heavier and with more stiffness. I’m confident that it will turn out good.
And it’s not a surprise that I’m happy to quit the muslin odyssey for now and that I can start to cut my fashion fabric. Yieha!

See you!

 

This post is also available in de_DE.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *